Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Handpainting Yarn

Most people I meet in the spinning world hate to spin natural colored fibers. They say that they get bored when they are spinning all white, grey or brown. I'm the opposite. I love to spin stark white fiber because I know that when I'm done, I can go to my dye pot and create a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. I especially like to handpaint my skeins of yarn so I have complete control over the dyeing process. Everyone has their own techniques, but I like to soak my skeins in a water/vinegar bath, then wring out and lay onto plastic wrap.



I use sponge brushes to apply the dye exactly where I want to, then when ready, I roll up the skeins and place in a pot to steam for 30 minutes. The results are sometimes breathtaking!



I don't like to waste dye, in any amount, so when I am steaming I always put a few locks of wool or other fiber in the bottom of the pot to soak up any dye that inevitably leaks out of the plastic-wrapped skeins.

If you have never tried dyeing before, I highly recommend it. Whether you are working with raw fiber or finished yarns, creating your own color blends using dyes can be extremely rewarding!

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful dye job!

    I agree that dyeing yarn (versus dyeing roving) has some really cool color effects. It's also much easier to spin undyed fiber, so that's a plus. :) Happy dyeing!

    ReplyDelete