Friday, July 9, 2010

New Blends

Time is really flying by and before I know it, it's going to be Sept. and I'll be off to the Fingerlakes Fiber Festival in Hemlock, NY. I had all these dreams of having new and exciting angora/wool blends to sell but alas, I have been lazy. Well, not lazy but definitely preoccupied. I did manage to start carding up one new blend. I'm calling it Phoenix, and it was inspired by Fawkes, the phoenix in the Harry Potter movies. It's a blend of red wool and yellow, red, orange and plum angora with splashes of gold and red glitz.



I used to get my blends carded on a professional carding machine and would pay up to $8 a lb. I've been recently spinning up some of the older blends and have discovered that the carding process leaves much to be desired. The professional machines break the angora causing it to pill and clump up. It's going to take longer, but I've decided to start carding my blends by hand on my drum carder. I think the personal touch will preserve the quality of the angora and create a much better product in the end.



I'm still waiting for my first angora/wool blend sale from my etsy shop. I have a feeling it's coming soon. Until then, I'll keep the dye pots going and the carder carding!

No comments:

Post a Comment